close
Photo submitted by the St Petersburg Museum of History

Since the 1800’s, piers have always stretched onto Tampa Bay from the downtown St. Petersburg waterfront shoreline. As the Sunshine City eagerly awaits the completion of the latest version – the St. Pete Pier – the history of these structures have not always been for recreational use. The first recognized pier – the Railroad Pier – was built after Peter Demens brought the Orange Belt Railroad to the Pinellas peninsula in 1888. Lined with loading docks and warehouses, the 3,000 ft-long Railroad Pier was used to transport cargo, and people, to and from steamships. By 1889, the Railroad Pier became a popular spot for fishermen and swimmers, even housing a bathing pavilion with a toboggan slide.

St Petersburg Museum of History

The St Petersburg Museum of History is located at 335 2nd Ave NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701. For more information about exhibits, hours, and ticket pricing visit SPMOH.com or call (727) 894-1052.

Tags : From the Museum's ArchivesSPMOHSt Petersburg Museum of History
Rui Farias

The author Rui Farias

Leave a Response